Well-being support service for Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) Women
Aditi offers one-to-one wellbeing, support and advice for Black and Asian ethnic minority women of all religious backgrounds living in Edinburgh who have experienced or are currently experiencing domestic abuse or ‘honour’ based violence.
Domestic abuse can mean physical, financial, sexual or emotional abuse or controlling behaviour by a husband or member of the family. This includes pressure to marry, dowry abuse and female genital mutilation (FGM). The City of Edinburgh Council funds Aditi to offer a range of services to help women feel safe, empowered and heard. Dedicated support workers can offer practical information on aspects such as housing and finances, working alongside counsellors and complimentary therapists who support women to improve their mental health and wellbeing.
The service is run from a dedicated centre within the city. This offers women a safe place to attend sessions and get advice. The services we provide include:
- Individual Counselling and Psychotherapy in preferred language where possible
- Complementary therapy sessions (such as massage, aromatherapy or reflexology) to help reduce stress, depression, anxiety or chronic pain
- Groupwork session providing a timetable of learning opportunities and certified courses in a range of activities (such as first aid, IT, ESOL, cookery, sewing, arts & craft and childcare)
- One-to-one support sessions, drop-in and telephone advice for matters including health, housing, legal and rights
- Referrals to access additional support services from other agencies (such as Council housing support services to determine housing needs, advocacy, employment or education).
This is a women-only service provided by women from a variety of cultural and ethnic backgrounds who speak a range of languages. Staff will work with women to overcome any barriers to accessing support and to make sure that women receive the care and advice they need to keep themselves and their families safe.
If you would like more information on Aditi services, or to speak to a support worker confidentially, contact us on email@example.com or call 0131 6034 865.
Alternatively, you can send a secure referral to firstname.lastname@example.org
[please note this email can only accept emails from another secure address]